Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My (possibly over-confident) plan for the summer

Hey everybody reading this! You're great! You've come here just to read about my plan. So here it is.
A little while ago I purchased a book called Little Green Dresses by Tina Sparkles. And I must say, it is some kind of wonderful (remind me to start using that expression way more). Basically Tina challenged herself to make all of her own clothes out of repurposed clothes and fabrics that she already had in her closet/stash or bought secondhand. I was super excited by this idea because a) I'm like real poor guys, and b) Altering clothes and refashioning things was always the most interesting part of sewing to me. One of my very first projects was a skirt made out of some old cords. And one of my favourite stores (that I have never once been able to afford an item from) Preloved, does this very thing with all of their pieces.
So, with all that said, I am setting out on this same challenge myself. My plan is to follow her rules at least until the end of the summer. The Little Green Dresses Rules are:

  • Any clothes in your closet on Day 1
  • Clothes made, altered or refashioned by you
  • Reused clothing and textiles from places like thrift stores and clothes swaps
  • New eco and ethically friendly designer items
  • Small amount of conventional items 
  • Perpetual reincarnations of all items in closet
I'm actually pretty excited about this. Especially since I'm a pretty bad clothes hoarder and have a lot of old crap to work with and make it into lovely new crap. I also just raided my boyfriends stash of old crap today. For some reason, I kind of want to hang onto his old Blue Jays t-shirt. Don't ask me why. It's a pretty heinous t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment